Free School Meals
Free School Lunches
We urge parents/carers to check if your child is eligible for free school meals as the benefits of this entitlement for your child’s education are immense. Students receive:
- school breakfast clubs
- help with the cost of education trips or visits
- Items like revision guides (given free or at a reduced price)
- Music lessons for disadvantaged pupils
- Eligibility for a bursary in the Sixth Form – Ortu or other
- Likely reduction in Tuition Fees at University
The school is able to fund some of the above because we receive a Pupil Premium Grant in respect of every child who is eligible for free school meals. Applying for free school meals benefits your child personally and the school as a whole in terms of increased funding.
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you are in receipt of any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit – provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190
- Universal Credit – provided your total net earnings are no more than £616.67 each month, starting from 1 April 2018
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Thurrock Council’s application process is now online and can be found by clicking on the link below to apply for an account.
By applying online you will receive notification of the outcome immediately. If your application is successful your child will receive this benefit straight away.
If you have any difficulty completing the online application, please contact the main school office on 01375 671566 who will be happy to help.